Friday 22 March 2013

Hot Crossed Buns!

 
Well it's definitely been a busy week here in the Nicnax kitchen! Today was my first attempt at Hot Crossed Buns!
I'm not sure exactly where I got the recipe from as it was one of those handwritten 'I'll have to make this one day' recipes!! Every time I go into my recipe folder I see it- so today was the day to try it out.

Now I will admit that it was very messy and the dough was very sticky! And with all the resting time ( the buns not me) it took quite a while - definitely not one for just 'whipping up a batch'!!
But in the end they turned out OK. Next time I will add a bit more spice. And my crosses turned out invisible- but they are there I promise!!


So if you would like to try the recipe, here it is -

Dough Ingredients -
1 tsp yeast
1/4 cup sugar ( I used brown)
4 cups flour (I used bread flour)
1.5 cups warm milk
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice ( next time I will probably use 1 tsp)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (next time I will use 1 tsp of this too)
60g butter
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sultanas or choc chips

Cross ingredients
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup water
+ 2 tsp cocoa powder if making chocolate crosses

Instructions
- mix the yeast and a pinch of sugar to the warm milk
- allow to sit covered for 10 mins (for yeast to start to activate)
- add softened butter and egg yolk and mix
- add remaining dough ingredients and mix until a ball of dough
- place into a greased bowl and place covered in to a dark place for 45-60mins - I use the microwave.
- once it has risen about x2 of its original size, empty out onto a floured bench.
- knead for about a minute
- (this is the messy part) separate into individual portions and shape into small balls
- place on a baking tray
- cover and leave again for about 10-20 mins
- preheat your oven to 190 deg

- prepare cross mixture by mixing all ingredients together to form a paste.
- use a piping bag or similar to + the buns
- bake for approximately 25 mins

Then eat up!






1 comment:

  1. Oooh yum. I must try these something before Easter. Lots of baking ahead for me. Thanks for the extra recipe to add to my list.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete