Wednesday 20 March 2013

No Cook Playdough




My little Miss is growing up so fast! She is 14 months already!
I like to think that I'm doing the right thing by her, being a stay at home mum. Obviously it means I can do more things with her and offer her more than I could with my boys as I was juggling work, kids, home duties, study etc.
But I kinda had a "bad mum" moment the other day after a discussion at school with some other mums. I realised that she hasn't yet had the pleasure of playing and creating with Playdough!
I have to admit that Playdough is NOT one of my favourite things. I can't stand the smell or the thought of someone eating it!
But that being said I don't want to deprive my kids of something just because I don't like it! I used to make it quite often with the boys.
One of the things the mums were talking about was the 'buying' vs 'making' Playdough. I tend to prefer making it myself. This way I can add scented oils to try to hide the smell! I've also added things like glitter and sand to make it a bit different!

 
So I whipped up a batch and divided it into three colours.
And yes it was a success! Little Miss Z LOVED playing with it. Even the boys came over and had a little creative session (making spiky-echidna-monsters).
 
Here's the recipe I use. It's a no-cook recipe - so the kids can help to make it!
 
Ingredients
2 cups of plain flour
1 cup of salt
1 Tbsp cream of tartare
1/2 to 1 cup of warm (not hot) water
1 tbsp oil
food colouring
 
Method
- mix together the flour, cream of tartare and salt
- add the oil and approximately 2 drops of food colouring to the water
- make a well in the dry ingredients
- slowly add the water mix to the dry ingredients
- keep stirring until it forms a soft dough
 
** if mixture becomes sticky just add more flour
** dough can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for a few days.
 
Have fun!!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic colours. I need to make some more play dough for my 4 year old. I always add a couple of drops of almond essence so that it smells nice. My daughter loves it and I must admit I find it quite therapeutic to play with too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playdough is such a winner!! We just made some microwave playdough the other day.

    ReplyDelete